Orientation course designed to increase first-year student success, introduce departmental concentrations and explore career possibilities.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Effectively critique peer and professional artworks and design projects
- Use local exhibition venues to expand their understanding of art and design
- Develop a rough draft plan for completion of a BA or BFA within four years
- Begin to plan career and long-term goals
Students are required to purchase a date book or planner. Part 2 in Launching the Imagination, and Success Strategies in Art and Design are strongly recommended, and Art and Fear, by Bayles and Orland, and The Practice of Creativity by Kelley are excellent additional resources. Other readings will be provided on your SSAD 1GB jumpdrive.
Class participation, including contributions to class discussions, will count for 49% of your grade. Five 2-page writing assignments will count for the other 51%. Plan on 2 hours a week for papers, museum visits, and other homework.
Any absence will reduce your overall learning experience, and more than 2 unexcused absences will result in course failure. You can make up a maximum of 2 missed classes by writing a 2-page paper on a topic related to the subject you missed.
The Bottom Line
regardless of the reason, you are just as gone whenever you are absent. This class will present an exuberant mix of ideas and images using lectures by professional artists and designers. It will be fast-paced and intensive. Turn off that cellphone and buckle your seatbelt!
1. AUGUST 25: ENTERING THE DOMAIN
Focus: Visual overview, presenting departmental faculty and student work in particular, and introducing Foundations curriculum rationale and structure.
2. SEPTEMBER 1: LABOR DAY: NO CLASS Send your bio by email by 11am.
3. SEPTEMBER 8: YOU CALL THAT ART??
Focus: Criteria for judgment, characteristics of critical writing, critique.
4. SEPTEMBER 15: THE COMPELLING CONCEPT
Focus: Where does an idea start and how does it develop? What is discarded and why?
5. SEPTEMBER 22: YOU CALL THAT GOOD DESIGN??
Focus: Design objectives; traditional characteristics of good and bad design.
6. SEPTEMBER 29: CRITIQUES AND CREATIVITY
Focus: Relationship between idea expansion and idea selection.
7. OCTOBER 6: THE THIRD DIMENSION
Focus: Introduction to ceramics and sculpture.
8. OCTOBER 13: PICKING YOUR PATH: BA or BFA
9. OCTOBER 20: MOVING IMAGES
Focus: Animation and Video.
10: OCTOBER 27: DISCIPLINARY and INTERDISCIPLINARY
11. NOVEMBER 3: A JOB WELL DONE
Focus: Site Visit to Master Craftsman program.
12: NOVEMBER 10: PHOTOCENTRIC
Focus: Various approaches to photography.
13. NOVEMBER 17, 24: Small Group meetings.
13: DECEMBER 1: Springboard: Greatest accomplishments for term, plans for future.
14. DECEMBER 8: Showcase. Attend Foundations Showcase, Museum of Fine Arts.
Mary Stewart email address: firstname.lastname@example.org